Skip to content Skip to footer
Illustrious Osimo Citizens

At the service of the town

Fiorenzi family members who made Osimo the town we know today.

  • Monsignor Teodosio Fiorenzi
  • Francesco Fiorenzi

Monsignor Teodosio Fiorenzi

Secret chamberlain and minister of memorials of two popes in the second half of the 16th century

He was the secret chamberlain and minister of memorials of two popes in the second half of the 16th century, Pius V, later made a saint, who rewarded him for his services by granting him the abbey of Santa Maria di Castelbaldo on lease and the title of counts of Monte Cerno for his descendants, and Sixtus V, who appointed him, among other things, tutor to his nephew, Cardinal Alessandrino. Between the 16th century and the end of the 19th century, he collected, and his family after him, many correspondences, prints, parchments, passports, and various documents, more or less relevant. These documents were finally ordered by Abbot Francesco Fiorenzi, in the last quarter of the 18th century, into a historical archive, composed of bound volumes, parchments and other historical finds of the family and the town of Osimo. In particular, the archive is enriched with over 150 parchments – the oldest of which dating back to 1270, up to the most recent ones in the late 18th century – and with the seals of Monsignor Teodosio, who later became bishop of Osimo in 1588, and of other abbots of the family.

He was appointed bishop of Osimo in 1588, a position he held until his death in 1591. Entrusted by the Pope with the task of following up on the rules and dictates of the Catholic counter-reformation, of which Pius V was a strong supporter, he brought the practice of traditional religious canons back to the diocese. He carried out improvements in the cathedral of San Leopardo, including the opening of the portal onto Piazza dell’Episcopio and the translation of the remains of Osimo Holy Martyrs into the crypt.

On the front of the family palace there stand three stone coats of arms, commissioned by the community in 1588 on the occasion of the election of Monsignor Teodosio Fiorenzi as Bishop of Osimo: the arms of Bishop Fiorenzi, in the center, the arms of Saint Pius V on the left and the arms of Sixtus V on the right.

Historian Fanciulli wrote of Bishop Teodosio: “We believe another quality of Fiorenzi was a certain laudable commitment to properly administering his offices, wanting to be informed of everything by his ministers; a concern to preserve his jurisdiction; good manners which he always used towards his fellow citizens; and above all, fervor, firmness, and constancy in promoting and defending his reasons”.

For more info click here


Francesco Fiorenzi

Engineer, Carbonaro, member of Giovine Italia and scholar, several times mayor of Osimo

He participated in the first war of independence and was a member of the Roman Constituent Assembly and a member of the Chamber of Deputies. He was a friend of Giuseppe Garibaldi, a convinced republican, so much so that he donated fifty of his properties to the cause of Italian independence.

Francesco will rightly be remembered as the one who led Osimo from the Middle Ages to the modern era. He designed the new road to the railway station in 1863, which was built a year later; the Campo di Marte or parade ground in 1863, then built in 1867, where Campo Diana is today; the new aqueduct in 1863, inaugurated in 1883 with the installation of the reservoir in the center of Piazza Duomo; the new cemetery in 1864, built on Mount Fiorentino in 1872; the restoration of the castle walls collapsed in 1864, which began in 1885 with the construction site for the new walls of Piazza Nuova and with the renovation of the walls of the San Marco area, inaugurated in 1890; the opening of Porta Nuova, or Talento, the current “Portarella” or Strigola, which took place in 1873; the new Foro Boario, designed by Costantino Costantini in 1881, started in 1886 and inaugurated in 1888; the town electric light system in 1883, inaugurated in 1892; the steam tram from Ancona to San Severino, via Osimo and the narrow gauge railway from Ancona to Macerata, proposed in 1881 and never developed due to the opposition of the mayor of Ancona.

Francesco fiorenzi

Mayor of Osimo from 1868 to 1874

He was mayor of Osimo from 1868 to 1874 and subsequently town councilor almost until his death, which occurred on March 30, 1895.

Contact Us!

Do you have any questions? Write to us!

    Subscribe for the updates!

    [mc4wp_form id="461" element_id="style-11"]